February 23, 2011

Lemon Alfredo

Put that store-bought jar of Alfredo sauce down! Back away.

You won't ever need it again.

Make this lemon sauce by the bucket full. And make more pasta than you usually would. You're going to want more after you're done. We were stark raving mad when we realized the pot was empty.

The hubbs gave it his official stamp of approval and said it had to be the best pasta sauce ever. I saved what was little left of the sauce because I just could not let it go down the drain. Don't tell me you don't do that too. I'll figure out some use for it later. Or just dunk bread into it.

It is restaurant quality- actually, no- better than any sauce you'd have at a restaurant. Unless you're in Italy.


It is pretty simple- lemon zest, heavy cream, a shallot, an egg yolk, pecorino cheese, and some S and P. In a rare occurrence, the hubby made this with me. I was very happy to have him in the kitchen! I assigned him the tasks I hate- zesting a lemon and grating cheese. Let me tell you, he is one fine zester and cheese grater. He went to town on that lemon. Got more zest out of it than I ever could. Don't worry about having the exact two tablespoons of zest this recipe calls for, zest that entire lemon! Even if you're not a huge lemon fan, you'll thank me later. And if you are, you're welcome.

I cubed up some cooked chicken to go with this for some protein, but it really doesn't need it. You can eat this as is. I bet bacon would go well with this. Maybe even some ham. Get creative. But stick with the sauce- unless you're thinking about adding more cheese, that's always a great idea!

Source: Food Network Magazine Mar. '11

12 ounces fettuccine
1 tablespoon butter
1 large shallot, minced
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1 large egg yolk
1 to 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
1/3 cup grated pecorino cheese, plus more for garnish
Salt and pepper
Some starchy cooking water


 Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the fettuccine and cook as the label directs. Drain, reserving about 1/4 cooking water.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden, about 3 minutes. Whisk the cream, egg yolk and lemon zest in a bowl. Reduce the heat to low and add the cream mixture and cheese to the skillet. Cook, whisking, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Add the pasta to the skillet and toss, adding enough of the reserved cooking water to loosen the sauce. Divide among bowls and garnish with more pecorino. 

Make some garlic bread and go to town!

Link up at What's Cooking Wednesday!

11 comments:

  1. Oooh, yeah! That sounds fabulous! I love lemony things. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting on my guest post! Had to come say hi. :)

    I'm not a huge fan of alfredo sauces...but a bit lighter, lemony one? Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, I really need to make this!! Any cream based sauce with cheese is right up my alley. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I zested the hell out of that lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like perfection. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lemon. Cream....oh my! Gonna' give this a try very soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think my comment posted...so I will try again! I loved reading this post. My husband also loves to grate and zest in the kitchen :-) And this sauce does sound heavenly. I wish I had some right now! Thank you for sharing your words and this tempting recipe. And thank you for your kind words on my blog. They brightened my day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Christina! So nice to meet you and I so appreciated your lovely comments on my blog. I'm so happy you did so I could make my way over to your blog. I'm your newest follower :)
    This recipe looks and sounds fantastic. Aren't pasta dishes so comforting!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delizioso! This is a great recipe.. bet it'll be great with shrimp, too! This is wonderful, thanks for sharing it. Here's hoping your husband will be a inspiration to mine who enjoys the benefits of the kitchen without any of the responsibilities!
    (ahem, Adam).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my - this looks amazing! I can't wait to try this!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS