February 25, 2011

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

These cookies remind me of grandmas. Spending a weekend at grandma's house, baking and eating all day. Grandmas all across the country must be making these cookies. I have discovered their secret.


Not that either one of my grandmothers can make these cookies. They were not bestowed with the baking gene. Sorry Abuelas. I still love you both!


Soft, chewy, crispy on the outside, and gooey on the inside. They are the perfect oatmeal cookie and probably the best I've ever had. I ate one 30 seconds after it came out of the oven and proceeded to eat four more in a row. They are best warm so heat them up in the microwave if you have some left over later. I bet they'd go well with vanilla ice cream. Or with a tall glass of milk for breakfast.


Just eat them!

A few notes to share- My cookies were done after 14 minutes. I tried dropping the dough by a tablespoon and by a teaspoon- drop them by the teaspoon! I also did not pulse the old-fashioned oats in a food processor as indicated (because I don't have one!) and didn't notice any problems. So to pulse or to not? Up to you. Oh and, I accidentally cracked two whole eggs into the bowl.... instead of one egg and one yolk. Oops.

Thanks Ania for inquiring about oatmeal cookies. I've only made one prior to this with cranberries and white chocolate. These cookies are a sure winner!

Source: Recipe of the Week: Cookies by Sally Sampson

1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats, pulsed well in a food processor 
2 cups all-purpose white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips or 1 pound semi-sweet chocolate, chopped

Preheat the oven to 325. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Place the butter and sugars in a bowl of a mixer fixed with a paddle attachment (or use a large bowl and a hand mixer). Mix until smooth and creamy. Scape down the sides of the bowl, add the egg, egg yolk, vanilla, one at a time, mixing well between additions. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix until everything is incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the chocolate and mix again.

Drop the dough by heaping teaspoons (no larger, it won't work as well) about 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet. Transfer to the oven and bake until the cookies begin to brown at the edges, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on the cookie sheet and transfer to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining dough.


What goodies remind you of your grandmother? 

Link up at Sweets for a Saturday.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Christina,
    Your cookies look delicious. Thank you for sharing and you have a great week end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good. I love chewy chocolate chip cookies! My grandma always made the most amazing stuffing every thanksgiving. I always think of here with that dish. Unfortunately nobody has the recipe and it makes me so sad not to be able to carry on her tradition :( But, I keep trying to replicate it. Maybe someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good. A really nice chewy chocolate chip cookie. I know my family would love these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are some delicious looking desserts! Yes, so perfect with a tall glass of milk in the morning...or late night. :P Thanks for sharing. Last but not least, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I truly appreciate it and hope you'll be back soon again.

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious! There's nothing better than cookies fresh from the oven. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh those just look so yummy!!! I am saving this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm hosting the Culinary Smackdown Battle for March--the theme is Cookies. Would you like to join in for the fun? I can see these cookies are perfect for this contest! All you have to do is link up your cookie creation. I have some great prizes waiting. Hope to see your entry soon!

    Amy
    http://utry.it/2011/03/culinary-smackdown-battlecookies.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your entry! You're quick! Best of luck to you. :)

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a recipe kind of like this and we put butterscotch chips in it. I'll have to test it for chocolate chips. Sounds yummy!

    New follower from utryit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm, you make me want an oatmeal cookie right now. Thanks for linking these up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. processing the oats? Never! I like them whole!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I came by from culinary smackdown. I love oatmeal cookies and I bet that extra egg yolk makes these cookies extra rich and special. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS