April 17, 2011

Buttermilk Parmesan Pork Chops

I don't have words to tell you how amazing these pork chops are. I don't even really like pork chops. They always come out dry. Or hard. Or tasteless. I've tried to make them in many different ways, but never like this. I can't stop thinking about them. I want to have them for dinner every day.

I'm not alone in my obsession. The hubbs has lost his mind as well. We've got a serious case of porkchopitis. 


Can't you see why?!! They have a crispy coating. There is cheese in the coating. There is cheese on top of the coating. They are moist. Flavorful. Powerful. The ruler of all pork chops.


The secret has to be in the buttermilk. The chops hang out in a marinade of buttermilk for about two hours. Overnight if you want. You know I don't have the patience for that. I never use buttermilk so instead of buying a jug I found the greatest substitution known to man for buttermilk (did you know about this, where have I been!) :a cup of milk with a tablespoon of lemon. Voila! Buttermilk. Amazing.

You might see this on the menu for quite some time...

Source: How Sweet It Is (Jessica is a genius, have you been to her blog?)

4 thin-sliced, boneless center cut pork chops
2 cups low-fat buttermilk
2 cups panko bread crumbs
1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese + a little more for garnish
3 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup chicken stock

Tenderize and trim fat from pork chops if you’d like.Add pork chops to a baking dish and pour buttermilk over top. Soak for at least 2 ours, or over night. Remove pork chops from fridge 30 minutes before you plan to make them. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a bowl, combine panko, flour, salt, pepper and parmesan. Heat an over-safe skillet on medium-high heat and add olive oil. Grab a pork chop from the buttermilk, letting any excess milk run off. Dredge through panko mixture, coating completely. Lay down in skillet and repeat with remaining chops. Brown pork chops for 3 minutes on each side only! You don’t want them to toughen up. After six minutes, turn off heat and add chicken stock to pan. Sprinkle a little parmesan on pork chops and cover skillet. Bake for 20 minutes.

I did make one change to the recipe- I used a baking dish instead of a skillet to transfer the chops into the oven. I poured the chicken stock over the chops and sprinkled on the cheese after they were done. 

Do you like pork chops? What's your preferred method to make them?

13 comments:

  1. I remember seeing these on Jessica's site (love her!). They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I bet this would work with chicken breasts too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I think this was inspired! :)

    Sounds great & cant wait to try it out on my family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good and I'm your newest follower!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those do look great! Cheese on anything makes me happy. And to continue our blog tag convo, lol. I grew up in North Miami in Aventura. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those porkchops look great! I think that my preferred method is cooking them in a skillet. Your version looks absolutely wonderful so I am bookmarking it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I'm featuring your recipe on It's a Keeper Thursday this week! I’d love if you stopped by and grabbed a button.

    And, feel free to link up another great recipe this week too!

    Cheers!
    Christina @ It's a Keeper
    Follow me on Facebook and Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  8. Turn OFF the heat or turn it DOWN?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After you add the chicken stock turn it off and transfer to oven.

      Delete
  9. Did you keep it covered in the oven with the baking Dish or no?

    ReplyDelete
  10. My chops are in the oven now my variation marinated over-nite, thick chops and applejuice
    keep you posted

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you cover the baking dish?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS