April 12, 2011

Chocolate Cranberry Granola Bars

Making these babies required me to make a new tag- snacks! We don't have very many snacks in the house, unless you count the two ginormous bags of chips (they're the "healthy" kind...), but other than that, not so much.  We try our best to eat healthy. Obviously I am no health addict, as you can see here and here, but we eat lots of whole grains, fruits, veggies, and lean protein. Granted we could do less with the sweets, but then who would I be? Not me. That's who.

Homemade granola bars, who would've thought they'd be so good. I sure didn't. I felt no shame eating three of these after they cooled out of the oven. 


I will never buy granola bars from the store again.

Thick, chewy, sweet, chocolaty...nutritious! Maybe? Yes, I think so. You can change up these bars every time you make them with whatever fillings you like or have on hand. The possibilities are endless! Dried cranberries, pecans, and chocolate chips were in my pantry, hence the title of this post.


Go see what you have in yours!

Source: Stephanie Cooks

1 2/3 cups quick rolled oats 
1/2 to 3/4 cup granulated sugar, depending on how sweet you want them
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 to 2 cups dried fruit and nuts
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons melted butter 
1/4 cup honey, maple syrup or corn syrup (I used honey)
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 tablespoon water

Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8 X 8 pan with nonstick spray. Over low heat melt the butter. Stir in the peanut butter until smooth. Stir together all the dry ingredients, including the fruit and the nuts. In a separate bowl, whisk together the vanilla, melted butter/peanut butter mix, liquid sweeteners and water. Toss the wet ingredients with the dry until the mixture is evenly crumbly.

Spread in the prepared pan, pressing them in firmly. Bake the bars for 30 to 40 minutes, until they're brown around the edges.They’ll still seem soft and almost underbaked when you press into the center of the pan but do not worry, they’ll set completely once completely cool.

Cool the bars in their pan completely on a cooling rack. Cut with a serrated knife and wrap each in plastic wrap.

What's your favorite healthy snack?

8 comments:

  1. Perfect for my daughters Sports trips!

    http://larkscountryheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! I love the combination of chocolate and cranberries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go through phases of making my own g-bars and they taste so much better than store bought! I'm inspired to start again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've happened onto a lot of amazing granola recipes today. And luckily for me this is my favorite snack :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine, I am so glad you linked these bars up!

    I am so making this for my daughters team. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at chocolate =)

    http://bakingwithemandm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not only are these healthy, they sound really tasty too, with just a touch of sweetness. Yum!

    I'd like to invite you to share this recipe on my linky, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/04/14/chocolate-birds-nests/

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing! I've yet to find a really good granola bar recipe, but I will be trying this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS