April 3, 2011

Beef Tostadas

My first thought while making my huge, ginormous grocery list was to jot everything down for these beef tostadas. I tore the recipe out of the magazine and took it with me just.in.case. I wasn't about to let anything go wrong. I was serious about making these babies.


I love Mexican food. I constantly crave it, dream about it. There are thousands of Mexican restaurants in Florida and my favorite one was right by my old school. I used to order the best cheese enchiladas from that place. Sigh. Then we moved.

I still haven't found the perfect Mexican restaurant here, but I will, one day...

We don't have Mexican food very often in our house, as so many Mexican dishes are smothered with cheese and sour cream (not that that's a bad thing...). But come Friday night, after struggling with what I had left in the house to make dinner every night, I wanted something good. Something authentic. Something new.


Hence these beef tostadas. How I loved you. And I think you will too.

These would be great to use with soft taco shells as well. That's what the hubbs did. I enjoyed them full crunch style, frying up the soft taco shells to make them crispy. They are great either way.

Source: Foodnetwork Magazine

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 small red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 pound ground beef
Kosher salt
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon chili powder (If you like things spicy, you should add more seasonings)
1 15-ounce can refried beans
1/3 cup sour cream
8 corn tostadas (flat, hard taco shells)
1 1/2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
Shredded lettuce, hot sauce and/or cilantro, for topping

Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the beef and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, breaking up the meat, until browned, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste and chili powder and cook, stirring, about 2 more minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the refried beans in a small saucepan. Thin the sour cream with about 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl.

Spread the beans on the tostadas, then top with the beef and cheese. Drizzle with the sour cream. Top with lettuce, hot sauce and/or cilantro.

What's your favorite Mexican dish?

5 comments:

  1. We're on the same wavelength or we're reading the same magazines. I made beef and bean tosadas the other day. I'm going to post it in a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mexican food too, so I do cook my own. Yours looks good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound wonderful! We make Mexican food all of the time...I couldn't pick one favorite dish...I love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Mexican food too, and this sounds like a great new recipe to try! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those tostadas look so delicious! We totally love mexican food around here too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS