December 23, 2013

Slow Cooker Pot Roast

Are you looking for an easy meal to entertain with this week? With family and friends in town or dropping by, this is a great dinner to serve for company. Pot roast is one of those meals that has a bad reputation. Some people love it, and some people hate it. My husband hated it. I grew up hating it, so as an adult, pot roast never sounded appealing to me, and it didn't to him when I told him what we were having for dinner that night.

Until we had a bite! Oh my word, this is good. This is a keeper folks. Leave it to the crock pot to change things around. How I love that thing.


I think all the prep that goes into this before it goes into the crock pot is what makes this so delicious. It's not a drop and dump crock pot recipe. There is some work to do before the cooking gets started. Peeling the carrots, chopping the onions, obviously, but what you might not do before you put something in the crock pot is cook it a little first on the stove. Well, not really cook- but sear. You want to lock in some flavor first. I'm convinced that is the key.  


So yes, if you are leaving to work in the morning, this will take some time. Maybe you'll want to save it for the weekend. Or if you're a SAHM, then use it on a day you know you're going to be busy most of the afternoon, and prep it in the morning. You'll be so happy you did!

Source: adapted from this recipe
Servings: 4-6 people (this makes a lot of leftovers)

3-4 tbsp olive oil
6 carrots, peeled, and diced (use more or less if you like)
1 yellow onion, cut into quarters  
4-5 pound boneless chuck roast
1 tbsp flour
1 cup red wine (I used chicken stock)
1 1/2 cup chicken or beef stock
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp dried rosemary

Spray your crock pot with cooking spray. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil into the pot.  Add the carrots and onions. You want to brown them well on all sides, 4-5 minutes (you're not trying to cook them, you just want them to have some color). Once you see them starting to brown, pour the carrots and onions into the crock pot.  

Add another tablespoon or so of olive oil to the pot you cooked the veggies in. Generously salt and pepper the chuck roast. Place the roast into the pot and sear for about 2-3 minutes on each side until nicely browned. Remove the roast and add to the crock pot, using tongs. You don't want to pour any of the juices into the crock pot just yet!!

Add a tablespoon of flour to the oil. Grab a whisk and start to whisk the flour, while you pour in the red wine or chicken stock to the pot. Continue to whisk to deglaze the bottom on the pan. Let it simmer on the stove for about five minutes, until the liquid has thickened up just a bit. Pour the mixture into the crock pot, along with the other 1 1/2 cup of beef or chicken stock (the liquid should be about half way up the meat, don't add more than that). Add the crushed garlic, thyme, and rosemary. Cook on low for 6 hours. 

I served mine with roasted potatoes and garlic bread. I wouldn't add the potatoes to the crock pot, because they get so mushy, unless you like them that way. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit I'm not a fan of pot roast either. My husband is, he is lover of all traditional meals. I will have to try your recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit I'm not a fan of pot roast either. My husband is, he is lover of all traditional meals. I will have to try your recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS