January 26, 2011

Streusel Banana Muffins

Yesterday I came home from work and had the itch to bake. A few (and when I say few I mean three) chocolate chip cookies were still left, meaning we needed a new batch of fresh goods. I like to have some kind of goodie in the house to snack on at all times. I bookmarked this recipe for banana muffins ages ago, perfect to use up the two rotten bananas hanging out in my fruit bowl. 



Smother them with butter. That is the best only way to eat a muffin. And make sure they're warm! 


Source: Brookie's Cookies and More

1/3 cup milk
1 cup ripe mashed very ripe bananas (2 medium)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour (if using self-rising flour, omit baking powder and salt)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chopped walnuts  (optional)


Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease bottoms only of 12 medium muffin cups, 2.5" x 1.25", with shortening, or line with paper baking cups.

Make Streusel Topping; set aside.

Beat milk, bananas, oil, and egg in large bowl with fork or wire whisk. Stir in flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt all at once just until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy). Stir in walnuts. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle each with about 1 tbl topping.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. If baked in greased pan, let stand about 5 minutes in pan, then remove from pan to wire rack; if baked in paper baking cups, immediatly remove from pan to wire rack. Serve warm if desired.

Streusel Topping

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbl firm butter or stick margarine

Mix flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl. Cut in butter, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until crumbly.


Now I can go home today and pop one in the microwave as my after-work-snack. Yess.

Link up with Sweet's for a Saturday.

8 comments:

  1. Christina, this is witchcraft! turning those 2 bananas into these muffins! I love Streusel toping (I'm more familiar with the German version, which is with butter, never with margarine).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything topped in streusel is OK in my book!Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made banana muffins too! These are the perfect way to use up over-ripe bananas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love banana muffins. These look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at streusel!
    I'm adding these to my baking list for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Streusel is my favorite part of a baked good. I love to nibble it all off before eating the rest. Sounds like a delicious way to make a banana muffin even better. Thanks so much for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday. I hope you'll be able to join in again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know the freezer on your fridge is packed..but, do you freeze bananas? I do. In my fridge and the little chest freezer too. It makes it so easy to have them on hand for any banana muffins etc..

    Just take out the rock hard bananas a while before baking (or nuke them on low heat for a few minutes to make them soft) or leave out the day before. Cut off the end and squeeze contents into the mixer bowl when the recipe calls for the bananas....so simple, clean and tidy... and I love having them always there. Some days I look in my freezer and there are as many as a dozen bananas in there... just begging to be banana chocolate chip muffins...of banana bread or ... well, you get it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I do freeze bananas. I don't have a huge stash because the husband usually is able to eat them up before they start to go bad, so I do have space for them. I love baking anything with bananas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS