May 18, 2011

Shrimp with Basil and Fresh Tomatoes

Pasta, pasta, read all about it!

Get your spaghetti, fettuccine, or linguine!



This pasta dish was light, flavorful, fresh, and easy. And did I mention easy? There is nothing to this, we all can cook this up on a weeknight. You can make it even easier for yourself by using precooked frozen shrimp (that's what I did), dried basil (if you don't have fresh on hand), and canned tomatoes (once again, if you don't have fresh on hand). Warm up the shrimp, boil the pasta, shred some cheese, sip a little wine, and add your basil and tomatoes. Dinner will be ready in 20 minutes. How awesome is that! 




Pretty awesome. I know.


One day I will conquer my fear of shrimp-fresh-from-the-sea. Right now I'll buy it precooked, please. I don't know how I feel about this whole "deveining" thing. What kind of word is that anyway?

Source: Recipe.com
 
12 ounces fresh or frozen peeled and deveined medium shrimp  
1 tablespoon cooking oil 
1 large onion, chopped 
1 cloves cups chopped, plum or common tomatoes (I used diced canned tomatoes)
2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1 tablespoon drained capers (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
8 ounces spaghetti or other pasta, cooked and drained
1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese 

Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Set aside.
 
Pour cooking oil into a wok or large skillet. (Add more oil as necessary during cooking.) Preheat over medium-high heat. Stir-fry onion and garlic in hot oil for 2 minutes or until onions are crisp-tender. Remove onion mixture from the wok. 
 
Add shrimp to the hot wok. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp turn opaque. Return onion mixture to the wok. Add tomatoes, basil, capers (if desired), salt, and pepper. Stir all ingredients together. Cook and stir for 1 minute more or until heated through. Serve immediately over hot cooked spaghetti or other pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Garnish with fresh basil leaves, if desired. Makes 4 servings.

How do you feel about deveining shrimp? Ever done it before? Share your secrets with me!

6 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I'm growing my own tomatoes and basil so am saving this recipe for when I can use fresh - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is going to be so amazing once our tomatoes and basil come in!

    http://www.alittlenosh.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tomatoes and basil. this looks so good!

    http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that just looks so good! So fresh and summery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so fresh and delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so Delish!! I love cooking as well but not a professional. My girlfriend love when I cook. Read my post ” Recipe for a Romantic Candlelight Dinner” Check out my blog wheretogetadate.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS