September 15, 2011

Dijon Honey Chicken Tenders

I'm a big believer in anything fresh. Fresh ingredients, fresh produce, fresh bread, fresh cookies, fresh air... I've come to tell myself if I've made it at home, that must make it better. No processed ingredients, right? So it's okay if I eat more than the usual 2 cookies I'd allow myself from a processed package. That also means it's okay if I eat more than 2 chicken tenders.


Growing up, one of my favorite things to eat was chicken nuggets/tenders. Those light, airy chicken nuggets from McDonald's? I hang my head in shame, but yes, I'll confess- I was a Mickey D's chicken nuggeter. Grandma used to take my brother and I for a happy meal once a week. Once a week! Oh the horror.

I'll tell you though, I had an awesome collection of those plastic Barbie dolls they used to hand out. Do you remember those?


One of the very first blogs I started reading was The Comfort of Cooking. Georgia, the author, has many beautiful, simple recipes on her blog. Every time she posts I rush over to read what she has to say about her latest creation. These chicken tenders were no exception. They're definitely tastier, better, healthier than anything you can get at a fast food restaurant or out of a red Tyson bag. Very easy to make too- slice chicken breasts into strips, roll them into panko bread crumbs seasoned with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Then you get to make a nice little dipping sauce! Who wouldn't like that?


Source: The Comfort of Cooking
Serves 4

1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. paprika
3 tbsp. butter, melted
heaping 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. honey
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced vertically into strips


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a large baking sheet and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika. Set aside. In a separate bowl, combine melted butter, Dijon mustard and honey; whisk until well combined.

Place the chicken strips into the mustard-butter mixture, then into the breadcrumbs. Coat evenly. Place onto the baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes. Enjoy!

We've all got one...share your favorite processed/fast food?

10 comments:

  1. Yes you are right.Nothing is better than fresh.Thsi chicken looks very yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really fast and simple to make, which is critical for us as we only have so much time to cook and eat before Baby Boy demands more of our attention =D Thanks for this. Bookmarking for a busy weeknight

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look good! My hubby is a Mcdonalds chicken nuggeter right now haha I'm gonna give these babies a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good! I am going to try this with tofu.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so good! I bookmarked this same recipe when I saw it a while ago. My favorite processed food--well I really like Whoppers! Isn't that gross?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm all about the fresh ingredients too! Except on the days when I'm dog tired! Great recipe! Love panko!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look good! I think my favorite processed food is the waffle fries at chick fil a. So yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just looking for a chicken "nuggets" recipe to make for my daughter as she too loves the ones from McDonald's. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look oh-so-delicious! Homemade chicken tenders are the best, and this recipe sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS