April 13, 2015

A Thank You to Mom

Last week was tough. My husband worked the entire week, including the weekend. He wasn't home most nights until after the kiddos were in bed. Dinner and bedtime alone kind of feels like running a marathon! He won't have a day off for another four days, but will be home every night for dinner. I'm pretty exhausted- I thought it was hard before with just one; now with double the work, it's a miracle I have any energy left to shower at night!

All this week I kept thinking about my own mom. She stayed home with my brother and I for almost ten years. Being a mom can be a thankless job. Is my two year old going to thank me for cutting the ends of her sandwich? Actually, she might thank me for that, ha! She is very polite when it comes to table manners, we scored on that one. But what about for keeping the house clean, making sure she has clean clothes to wear, searching for new toys and activities? All the little things she doesn't notice. Or even the bigger picture, staying home to be with her and her brother day in and day out.


I know it's only the beginning, I'm tired and cranky because I'm up several times in the night, I don't have a husband to turn to, let alone family. It's a season of life and it will pass quickly. This is what I tell myself when I just want a moment of silence and a chance to close my eyes. They will only be little once. I'll only feel this way for a short period of time. 


I've asked my mom lots of questions about when she stayed home- did you like it, did you miss working, were you ever bored. The answer is yes, yes, yes. But did she regret it? No. I have a newfound appreciation for what she did, for what every stay at home mom is doing. Hopefully one day when our kids are grown, married, with babies of their own they will pick up the phone and thank us for being there every single day. For giving it our all and doing the best we could. 

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet tribute to your mom. I am a temporary stay at home mom - I return to work in August - and I don't know how I'll get everything done because I can barely get everything done as it is. I applaud mothers like you. I'm sure it doesn't feel effortless, but you can tell your children are so, so loved. I guess they always say, "The days are long but the years go by fast." It's so true.

    The Busy Brunette
    http://thebusybrunette.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered if the hubby's schedule had gotten any better - I see not. Gosh that must be so hard! I love you positivity here about it being a season. and that your mom sounds like she felt like sahm do today still :) From one sahm mom to another sending you some
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for writing this! I haven't been here to see your new baby much and he looks like an absolute doll, btw!--Congrats!!! Two littles can be challenging, but we had two from the very beginning so I never have known what having just one is like. I'm just glad to know that other moms who cherish their children also have days where you feel drained. If you remember, my husband is also in residency and this month he has worked so many nights in the PICU, so I can attest to marathon type days. Let me encourage you for a minute... are doing GREAT. I can tell you have so much heart and you love your children! What a wonderful thing that you can look to your mom for support and advice since and it's good to know that it's worth it all! I know that, but it's still a great reminder! I'll pray that you can get the rest you need in these more challenging first few months:)
    I'm hear to chat if you ever want!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS