February 16, 2015

Weekend Review- My Sweet Valentine, Occupy the Toddler, and FreezerMeals

That's a long title for a post- pretty much explains it all. A crappy weekend in terms of family time; I saw my husband for about a total of three hours this weekend. He was on nights and worked Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Ugh. I loathe night shifts. Loathe them.

So it wasn't Valentine's Day for us, we'll be celebrating later in the month. A scheduled date night, yay! He's been so exhausted, night shifts really take a toll, not just physically, but mentally too. I had dinner ready for him by 4:30, he'd eat, we'd chat and catch up on the important things, and off he went. I was definitely feeling down on Saturday, missing him and wishing we were spending the day together and that I could make us something special that night to celebrate. But then, I got this email from him at work:


My sweet wife,

It's been 13 (or maybe 14?) years since you first called me to tell me that you loved me, and each year has been better than the last. We've had countless adventures, experienced immeasurable joy, and have grown into two halves of one whole. You are part of me, as much as anything possibly could be, the same as my arms or legs, as my beating heart or annoying intestines. We are inseparable, and I could never imagine my life any other way.

In these last 13 (I think it may be 15 actually) years, we've carved out our own path through life, one that requires nothing except being together. We've traveled through the country, lived in teeny tiny apartments and beautiful houses, and every place has felt like home as long as we were with each other. We've learned about the world together. We discovered who we were, in the process growing ever closer, realizing what we always knew: that nothing could ever come between us. We created a gorgeous, perfect little girl, a reflection of her mother, the strongest and most compassionate woman I've ever known. She will grow up looking at you as I do, with love and admiration. She will aspire to be like you, and I have no doubt that you will be her hero. No one else is more deserving of the title.

My sweety. You will always be my number one priority in life, long after we are both wrinkly and smelly. I will always hold your hand. I will always buy you peanut butter late at night. I will always give you foot rubs, even when your feet are gross. I will watch girly movies with you, and have dance parties in the kitchen, and be your little spoon. I will think of you, constantly. I will save dumb videos on reddit for weeks on end, waiting for the opportunity to show them to you. I will see your amazing qualities every time I look into the eyes of our daughter. I will kiss you, and hug you, and cuddle you, and tell you how beautiful you are when you're wearing fat pants and a cookie shirt. I will sometimes let you down, and I will often annoy you (like really often), but I will never do it intentionally, and I will always do my best to continue to be the person that I know you deserve.

Our story is still in its infancy. We have a long life ahead of us, years that will be full of love, and I couldn't be luckier to get to share it with you. Our adventures are just beginning.

And I was dying. Tears streaming down my face. So not something to read while pregnant! I loved it so much. In case you're wondering- we've been together for 13 years, but he has the tendency to exaggerate, about A LOT of things, and fat pants are definitely yoga/pajama pants, that he makes fun of me wearing all the time. He summed up our life so perfectly, from where we've been to where we will go.



Okay. No more sappy talk. I hope you had a better Valentine's Day! I love making a fun breakfast for holidays, so of course I made heart shaped pancakes for Miss A, complete with hot pink sprinkles, and set out a Valentine activity book to color (which I found here) and a Valentine bingo sheet (found here). I may have stolen a bite or two. ;)



 The rest of the day didn't go exactly as planned, but I did manage to make a batch of chocolate chip cookie dough for the freezer. I really want to try and make several meals (and treats) to get us through the days after our families leave. First and foremost- chocolate chip cookies, right? I'm sure I'll need them for those middle of the night feedings. 



I also had to get creative with how to entertain Miss A. She was really demanding of my attention so I gave her a bag of dried beans and pasta to "cook" with. That kept her occupied for a long while.




I cleaned out the freezer, tossed out old and expired food, and cleared a shelf for freezer meals. I'm hoping to make the following meals:

Meat Lasagna
Pancakes, waffles, muffins

We made the cinnamon rolls yesterday after making a trip to the store for what we'll need. I bought aluminum pans with lids for freezing. I plan to make one meal at a time, making a double batch- one to eat that night, and one for the freezer. Do you have any experience with freezer cooking- any tips or recipes to share? I'd love some more ideas that are not pasta or casseroles! 

excuse her crazy hair, it was full of static ALL day!

Other things we did this weekend included making heart shaped pasta necklaces, watching Cinderella on repeat, embracing my nesting instincts to clean (cobwebs and every nook and cranny of the kitchen), and breaking Miss A out of the pacifier at night. That, my friends, is a post for another day. 

Here's to a good week- with possible snow in our forecast tonight! 

4 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful letter! It brought tears to my eyes and in not even pregnant! I can't even imagine how you were, lol. Good luck on the freezer meals, sounds like a great plan xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breakfast burritos were good for us. I also made some soups. When I made freezer meals, I do the same one and one method. Here are some that I have had success with.
    http://www.katiesperk.blogspot.com/2012/11/feed-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that letter was absolutely beautiful. I'm pregnant and it wasn't a good idea to read it at work, I totally started crying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though you weren't together on Valentine's Day... it's obvious that the love you have for each other is so big and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS