February 2, 2015

Family Date Night

It's rare that we go out, together, as a family, to dinner at a restaurant. We're always on a super tight budget (thanks to loans and a resident's salary) and I cook the large majority of our meals, every night. It sure gets tiring and I could definitely use a break more often than I get!

On Saturday a new restaurant was having their opening night in downtown, and if you knew someone who worked there, you could go, check out their menu, and order meals, all taken care of! One of our friends invited us and we immediately jumped on the offer. Mexican + Columbia fusion free food? How can you say no to that!


Of course we would have loved to go just the two of us, but it was fun to take Miss A along with us. She doesn't go to restaurants often so we're always weary of how she'll do, but amazingly, she did so well. The place was packed, full of people, and as we waited for our table we looked up at the colorful lanterns that hung from the ceiling and at all the other cool decor. We had a moment of panic when we were seated at our table when she noticed these day of the dead paintings. I could see how they were scary to her, so we took out the iPad to distract her (always gotta be prepared) until she calmed down and her food arrived.


We were so blown away by the food. The hubby got a plantain that was stuffed with steak, beans, cheese, and I got the pork belly tacos with apple and pear salsa. So GOOD! I only wish I could've had more...seeing as I'm on this new "meal plan" (more on that to come) I didn't want to go overboard. I only had a few chips, dipped in their delicious white queso dip, half of my entree, and a few bites of dessert, which was insanely delicious! A fried pastry ball stuffed with bananas and dulce de leche..oh man, when I'm no longer under this plan, I'm going back for more!


Miss A was falling asleep on the way home so we cranked up her music CD in the car and sang to her loudly and obnoxiously. It's been a long time since I've had to keep her awake, which goes to show how often we venture out at night. :) I'm so glad we were able to have that fun night out together, as a family of three, because there really won't be many of those moments left, now that we're in February!

The rest of our weekend was low key, as Sunday was just the two of us again, and we were missing Daddy like crazy. Sigh. One weekend day is never enough, even though I'm so grateful when we get one weekend day together. I'll be back later this week to share all about my fun gestational diabetes appointment! Have a great Monday.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! Glad you got a night out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a blast! And what a trooper miss A was being good and staying up late! We are very leary of taking Callie to restaurants bc she's so busy busy at home. Maybe it's time we try again bc a family night out sounds fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for family date night - and for not having to cook! Sounds perfect to me:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS