August 4, 2014

5 Ways to Entertain Your Toddler On a Rainy Day

This weekend was challenging, for me and Miss A. We both missed my husband. He had to work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night, meaning he slept during the day, seeing us for only a short period before he had to go off to work. It was gray and rainy, limiting our time outside. It was just the two of us.

I did my best to keep us busy and entertained. Staying indoors is hard for the both of us; we love being outside, meeting our friends, and doing errands. Sometimes that's not possible on the weekends, and even harder when it's raining outside. Here are a few things we did, in case you need some ideas what to do on a rainy day. 


1. Arts & Crafts

I keep a bin of arts and crafts in our pantry, filled with play dough, finger paints, markers, blank sheets of paper, beads, water colors, and paint sponges. We do "art time" in the kitchen, at the table. It's the easiest place to clean up afterwards and I don't have to worry about spills falling on carpet and the like. We painted, rolled out play dough, and drew with markers.

2. Watch Old Videos

Miss A absolutely loves watching videos of herself. I let her watch videos on my phone all the time but I thought it would be fun to take a trip down memory lane and show her some videos from last year, that are stored on our computer, when she was one years old. Warning: tears may ensue. She loved it, pointing at the screen and laughing as we watched her fumble and do the drunken I'm-a-new-walker walk.

3. Bring Out Old Toys

After every birthday and big holiday, there are lots of new toys to play with. In order to make room for all her new stuff, I collect some of the old and store them away in large clear plastic bins. We have them separated by age: baby, pre-toddler, etc in our storage closet. I dragged out one of the bins and let her search through it, killing a good hour with playtime.

4. Have Lunch/Snack Outside

If you have a covered porch or deck, you can still eat outside even if it's raining. That is, if it's not raining too heavy. We sat on the front porch to have our snacks in the middle of the day despite the drizzle. I'm definitely someone that needs fresh air every day and I notice a huge drop in my mood if I haven't been outside. Miss A loves being outside too and really enjoyed watching the rain fall while we ate our snacks.

5. Play Hide & Seek

Now that Miss A is older, she kinda sorta understands how to play hide and seek. It was especially fun to play this weekend since it was so dark in the house. Sometimes she actually hides, usually behind a door or behind a wall. Shouting, "Where are you?" causes her to burst into giggles; she doesn't stay hidden for long. She hasn't quite figured out how to find me though, so I usually just stand right in the open in a different room and let her squeal when she finds me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS